Thai Rice 1cup (about 120g)
Water/ Chicken Stock 1.5litre with more hot water on standby
Glutinous Rice Flour 1 tbsp mixed with 100ml water and mixed well.
Chicken I used left over chicken. If start from scratch, cook about 800g in 2.8litres of water
seasoned with salt, pepper and 2 slices of ginger.
Shredded Young Ginger
Spring Onions, diced
1. Chicken - shred cooked chicken meat and season with a little soya sauce and sesame oil.
2. Wash Rice and coat with a few drops of sesame oil.
3. In a heavy saucepan, add water, rice, pinch of salt, 2 slices of young ginger. Bring the water to boil. Once water starts to boil, reduce heat and boil the congee gently until rice starts to split and turns viscous. Add hot water or chicken stock if the mixture becomes to thick before the rice is cooked. Stir the congee at intervals to prevent the rice from sticking to the saucepan.
4. Once rice has split and turns viscous, add in the glutinous rice flour/ water mixture and stir continuously until the congee becomes a smooth creamy consistency. Add more hot water if the congee becomes too thick.
5. Ladle into serving bowl. Garnish with shredded chicken, shredded ginger, You Tiao and diced spring onion.