½ kg chicken, washed and cut into medium sized pieces
3 tbsp curds
1 tsp red chili powder (adjust to suit your spice level)
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Make a paste:
6-7 cashew nuts
4-5 tbsps milk
Dry roast and make a fine powder:
10-12 curry leaves
Rest of the ingredients
3-4 tbsps oil
2 big onions finely chopped
1 large tomato finely chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp black pepper powder (adjust to suit your spice level)
¼ tsp cumin powder
Coriander leaves for garnish
1. Marinate chicken pieces in chili powder, turmeric powder, curds and salt for 20 mts.
2. While the chicken pieces are marinating, make a paste of cashew nuts and milk. Keep aside.
3. Dry roast cinnamons, cloves and curry leaves for 1 mt and make a powder of them. Keep aside.
4. Heat 1 1/2 tbsps of oil in a cooking vessel. Add the onions and sauté till pink. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté further for another 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
5. Add coriander powder, cumin powder, pepper powder and combine well and fry for another minute.
6. Add the tomatoes and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Combine well and cook till oil separates. Turn off heat. Cool and grind the cooked masala. Keep aside this masala paste.
7. Heat 1 1/2 tbsps oil in a cooking vessel and add the marinated chicken and cook on high flame for 4-5 minutes, reduce heat and cook covered for another 4-5 minutes.
8. Add the ground masala paste, cashew nut paste and ground powder of cinnamon, cloves and curry leaves and combine well. Cook till chicken pieces are soft and you get the desired curry consistency and adjust salt.
10. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.