Basmati Rice: 3 Cups
Onion – 1/2 Medium Sized, finely chopped
Green Chilies – 3, slit to halves
Mint – 1/2 Cup
Cloves – 10
Cinnamon – 1/4 Inch, crushed into small pieces
Bay Leaves – 5 Medium sized
Elachi – 5
Cashew Nuts – 20 Pieces
Poppy Seeds/Gasagasalu – 1 1/2 Tbl Spoons
Fresh Coconut – 1/4 Coconut
Oil – 4 Tbl Sp
Ginger Garlic paste: 2 tbl sp
For Masala Powder
Dhaniya – 2 Tbl Spoons
Cinnabon Stick – 2 inch
Cloves – 5
1. Prepare the masala powder: Dry roast Grind Dhaniya, Cinnamon stick and Cloves and make a fine powder (Use can use masala powder if you have already).
2. Wash the rice and soak it in water. Make the coconut into small pieces and keep aside (You can use dry coconut powder also). Roast the poppy seeds for 5 minutes. Make a fine paste of roasted poppy seeds and coconut.
3. Heat the oil in a rice cooker and add Cashews, Cinnamon, Cloves, Elachi and Bay Leaves and let them fry for 2 minutes. Now add the ginger garlic paste and mint leaves and cook for 5 more minutes. Now add the onions, green chillies, and coconut-poppy seeds paste.
4. Add 4 1/2 cups of water, masala powder, salt and let it boil. When the water is boiling, add the drained rice and let it cook.
5. Add cilantro and serve hot. Tastes good with any kurma or raita.