Chicken - 1 lb
Lemon juice (ideally freshly squeezed) - 3 tbsp
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red food color - 1/2 tsp
For the Main preparation:
Light olive oil - 2 tbsp
Cut green chilies - 3 nos.
Tomato ketchup - 5 tbsp
Light olive oil - 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Dried red chilies - 2 nos.
Curry leaves - 6 nos.
1. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces [not too small].
2. In a mixing bowl, mix 3 tbsp of fresh lemon juice and salt.
3. Add the chicken pieces and marinate for at least 10 mins.
4. To this, add 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and half tsp turmeric and red food color.
5. Mix well and allow marinating for at least 5 mins.
6. Transfer the above to a large microwave safe dish, cover and microwave on high for 5 mins till chicken is almost fully cooked.
7. Remove from the microwave and drain & discard all the fluid - keep only the semi cooked chicken aside.
8. For tempering, in a small frying pan, heat 3 tbsp of light olive oil.
9. When the oil is hot, add 1 tsp of mustard seeds and cover the pan with a lid.
10. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter.
11. Add 2 dried red chilies and fry for a minute.
12. Turn the heat to low and add 6 curry leaves and cover the pan again.
13. Allow the curry leaves to splutter.
14. Once the leaves are well fried and almost dry, remove from the heat and keep the tempering aside.
15. In a separate large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp light olive oil and add the microwave chicken pieces.
16. Shallow fry for 5 mins.
17. When the chicken is almost done, add 3 cut green chilies to the pan and continue frying for 1- 2 mins till done.
18. Now the most important step - add 4-5 tbsp of tomato ketchup to the pan directly over the chicken.